This past Sunday, Holly Ricciardi of Magpie Artisan Pie Boutique taught a packed house how to make a delicious, seasonal, strawberry rhubarb crumb pie. Here is the recipe (courtesy of Holly Ricciardi):
MAGPIE’S STRAWBERRY RHUBARB CRUMB PIE
Makes 2 – 9” single bottom crusts, or 1 – 9” double crust pie
Flaky Pie Dough
2 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
10 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch pieces and frozen
6 tablespoons vegetable shortening, cut in 1-inch pieces and chilled
8-10 tablespoons ice water
1. Place flour, sugar and salt in a food processor and pulse a few times to combined.
2. Scatter frozen butter cubes over flour mixture. Pulse 5 – one-second pulses until butter is looks like corn meal with peas size pieces. Scatter shortening in flour mixture and pulse 4 – one-second pulses.
3. Place flour mixture in a large bowl and pour half the ice water on top. Using scrapper, mix together until medium size clumps form. Add the rest of the water and mixes until just combine. Use palm of hand to fold and press down on the dough until dough forms one large mass and just comes together (don’t over work it!).
4. Portion dough in to two equal portion discs, wrap tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Wrap dough and placed in a freezer bag and frozen for up to 3 months.
Strawberry Rhubarb Crumb Pie Filling
1 pound rhubarb, washed, leaves removed, cut into 1/2-inch slices
1 pound strawberries, washed, hulled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1. Heat oven to 375˚F
2. In a bowl mix sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl toss sliced rhubarb and strawberries with lemon juice and vanilla. Add sugar mixture and toss until fruit is evenly coated.
4. Place rhubarb/strawberry mixture in prepared shell. Top with prepared crumb.
5. Place pie on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes, reduce heat to 350˚F, rotate and bake for another 15-25 minutes until top is golden and filling is boiling. Let cool for at least 4 hours.
Brown Sugar Crumb Topping
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole oats, ground
1/4 cup whole oats
1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces, room temperature
1. In a bowl, mix flour, ground oats, whole oats, sugar, salt and spices.
2. With your hands, work in butter pieces, until small to medium curds form, and mixture feels like wet sand.