Lacroix at the Rittenhouse, COOK’s dear friend and very near neighbor, has always been a trend-setting force in Philadelphia dining, as well as a proving ground for some of our brightest chefs. That’s why we’re geeked to hear what one of our most evolutionary kitchens has planned for its 10-year anniversary.
On September 24 — big heads up for this one — Lacroix Executive Chef Jon Cichon (above, at his tuna butchering class) and Executive Pastry Chef Fred Ortega will fold eight former colleagues back into the fray for a one-night-only tasting. Here are the alums who will join the current brigade, plus chef Jean-Marie Lacroix himself, for this singular occasion (quite a few friends of COOK on this list, too):
- Jason Cichonski, Chef/Owner of Ela
- Michael Fiorello, former chef of Mercat a la Planxa and current Culinary Director of Garces Group
- Matthew Levin, Executive Chef of Square Peg
- Matt Ridgway, Owner of charcuterie producer PorcSalt
- Peter Scarola, Pastry Chef of R2L
- Brinn Sinnott, Executive Sous Chef of Talula’s Garden
- Lee Styer, Chef/Owner of Fond
- Townsend Wentz, Executive Chef of McCrossen’s Tavern
The chefs will come together for a 10-course, wine-paired tasting, beginning with a cocktail reception and toast. The $350-a-head price tag benefits a heck of a cause: a brand-new Lacroix scholarship administered by the James Beard Foundation. The scholarship will aid a deserving Philadelphia-area student with the tuition and fees for culinary school. Call 215-790-2530 for reservations.
Photo: Hahri Shin